I stumbled upon this quote and it really stuck with me — “Energy goes where the attention flows”. In the past year, this past month especially, I’ve been putting a lot of thought into my priorities.
I challenge you to write out your priorities and for the next week document how much time you spend working on them versus the habits that you are trying to phase out (e.g. over-thinking, excessive social media, watching tv). Conceptualizing how much time you spend doing what allows you to evaluate how you spend your days.
We are creatures of habit; we give our time and attention to the things that matter most. Changing your mindset and creating positive habits will only benefit you. Next time you find yourself stuck with anxiety, over-thinking, procrastinating or just in a bad mindset, remind yourself that energy goes where the attention flows. The longer you spend in that negative mindset, the more energy you waste. Take that energy and expend it into something positive.
Featured Image by the talented Daniel Watts, he is also on Instagram.
Blogging every day has posed two challenges for me, finding the time and finding the flow. However, it is moreso the latter; I’ve found that these things can help find that flow:
- Taking a walk
- Blocking out one hour to blogging: put away your phone, close other tabs and just concentrate
- Listen to motivational podcasts episodes
- Daily Content/ Article Consumption
- Read for 30 minutes
- Yoga sequence — check out this one to spark creativity.
- Watching Ted Talks episodes
- Practicing mindfullness and being present with affirmations and mantras (check out these motivational Mantras).
- TAKE A HIKE — spending time in nature always gives me creativity
- Vist other blogs
- Brainstorm the theme— What are your categories? What are some reoccuring topic you write about? What are the most popular topics? Can you expand on them?
- Go for a drive or a bus ride to somewhere new
- Document your progress and plans for the future
- Listen to a music album you’ve never heard before
- Spend time doing one of your hobbies; pick up that paintbrush, basketball, or go for a run, whatever brings you happiness while help get those creative juices flowing!
Get over your fear of shipping and go with what comes to mind. Find what inspires you and always remember to trust your intiution.
For the next month, I am writing a blog post every day. This challenge will certainly push my boundaries, but will also help grow my value creation mindset.
Prioritizing is key to this challenge. That’s why I’m disciplining myself to sit down and write every single day—even on crazy, busy days like I had today. Between my day job, Etsy business, praxis boot camp curriculum, and my side hustles, I am always occupied. After it is all said and done, it is now 11:19 pm and I am still going!
With that being said, I’ve also become quite the night owl. Another goal for February 2018 is to regulate my sleep schedule. Month-long challenges are a great way to kick-start your mentality and build a habit. By the end of this challenge, I hope to improve my consistency and discipline. You can do anything that you set your mind to. However, it is up to you to follow- through.